Monday, March 07, 2005

Truth In the Strangest Places - Million Dollar Baby


I loved the following quotes from Wayne Jacobson's blog regarding the movie, Million Dollar Baby:

http://www.lifestream.org/wblog.html


But I kept hearing this movie wasn’t really about boxing. That was only the context for a compelling human story.



“Extremism is so easy. You’ve got your position, and that’s it. It doesn’t take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”

The times call not for idiotic extremism, but the ability for God's people to articulate his truth with his compassion.
Don’t believe everything you read. I’m sure this situation is far more complicated than any of the advocates want us to know. Human stories rarely fall into such one-dimensional morality plays with the villains and the good guys so clearly visible. I do know this, we shouldn’t trust what others say if we don’t have our own firsthand knowledge. And until we can see God’s compassion for all the people in the story, we won’t be redemptive in it. We’ll just use it to bash people who disagree with us.


Maybe like Wayne shared on his blog, how many things did not fit what I saw as being important to "look at" simply because I did not like or agree with the context/setting? How many compelling stories are happening around me every day?
Like the movie because of the subject matter, (judging a book by its cover mentality) can cause me to read so much religious crap into it, that I maintain my so called separation from the evils of life.

BTW, my wife and I saw the movie, fantastic!



Rich


No comments: