Sunday, November 13, 2005

What is That String Tied Around my Finger For?





I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth I will make known your faithfulness to all generations.

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases, His mercies never come to and end,They are new every morning, new every morning,Great is your faithfulness to me, oh Lord, great is your faithfulness to me.

I am so over come in how the Lord continues to reveal the greatness of his heart for me. I so delight in how His spirit is confirming to my heart the Truth of Christ in me the Hope of Glory. It has been most thrilling the reading I have been doing of late.I am just finishing the book, The Journey of Desire by John Eldridge. In it on page 199, he makes a reference to a story he laid out in the previous pages about how a village in Mexico had been subjected to a plague of insomnia, and how it seeped into every day living.He goes on to say under the heading of,

Our Worst Enemy

The first time I read this story I simply laughed. But it haunted me, and on a second reading I began to realize that it’s my story too. I said to myself, it’s not a bad plan. Right above my bed I think I shall hang a sign that says, God Exists. You see, I wake most mornings an unbeliever. It seems that during the night, I slip into forgetfulness, and by the time the new day comes, I am lost. The deep and precious truths that God has brought to me over the years and even yesterday seem a thousand miles away. It doesn’t happen every morning, but enough to make it an ongoing reality. And I know I am not alone in this.”

Later on page 200, he continues; Forgetting is no small problem. Of all the enemies our hearts must face, this may be the worst because it is insidious.Forgetfulness does not come against us like an enemy in full battle formation, banners waving. Nor does it come temptingly, seductively, like the lady in red. It works slowly, commonly, unnoticed. Forgetfulness, it can so easily cut us off from our Life, so slowly, we barely notice, until one day the blooms of our faith are suddenly gone.”

I love this quote from Deut. 4:9 Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children's children--Later on Paul is appalled, (Gal.1:6) I am shocked that you are turning away so soon from God, who in his love and mercy called you to share the eternal life he gives through Christ. You are already following a different way.

He has to send Timothy to the Corinthians to “remind you of what I teach about Christ Jesus in all the churches wherever I go” (1Cor.4:17)

Peter, who knew firsthand the grief that comes from forgetting, writes his letters to combat this cancer of the soul:1Pet.5:10And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you.

2Pet.1:11-13
for in this way the entrance into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ will be abundantly supplied to you.12 Therefore, I will always be ready to remind you of these things, even though you already know them, and have been established in the truth which is present with you.13 I consider it right, as long as I am in this earthly dwelling, to stir you up by way of reminder,

People tie strings to their fingers to offset forgetfulness.God told the Jews to bind what He told them to their foreheads. Some of them took him literally and what exists today is hilarious in their antics.I need it strapped right there in front of me, every single day.

God Exists!

Rich

No comments: