Sunday, April 20, 2008

God’s Daily Grind


It is within the crucible of life, daily living that the fashioning and the forging of the Life of God in Christ is either becoming fully formed within us, or we try to go the path of little or no resistance and settle for having a form of Godliness, knowing all about Him, but experiencing NO power. (Knowing about God’s love and not experiencing it is far to much of a serious issue to dismiss).

In a recent episode on the
Oprah Winfrey show, four out of five people quizzed in a CareerBuilder.com survey are unhappy at work—that's 84 percent of the nation's workforce!

It is not enough to simply be re-birthed, but the re-birthing is that which was meant to facilitate what the scriptures point to, Jesus being the first
born of many sons.

Before the fall of man within the garden there was effort, but there was no sin, no sweating or strain. All of that suddenly changed when man committed high treason in willful and defiant rebellion by declaring he was in control of his own life. . As Dave Coleman, (Wayne Jacobsen’s friend) so succinctly put it on the most recent pod cast; (Why Religion Doesn’t Work) that sin is simply us wanting to have control.
Funny how pride blinds us, in thinking that we can obtain control over our own lives without seeing the inevitable and devastating consequences that turn our lives into a forgery.

It was into this arena of death and grinding devastation that the Word (Jesus Christ) became flesh and lived here with us on planet earth. The mortar and pestle of everyday circumstances and situations were used of the Father in the perfecting (forging) of His Son. It says, though he (Jesus) was the Father’s only begotten, yet he was made perfect (fully forged) through that which he suffered, or, he learned obedience through that which he suffered.

I need to touch upon what I said earlier re: the episode on Oprah about 84% of (the nations work force in the USA) people being unhappy at work.

In my opinion there is so much ambiguity regarding, ‘I love my job, I am unhappy with my job, I love my kids, my marriage etc’, without qualifying (elucidating) the adjectives being used, it all becomes a blurred generic smear.
I for one love my job, but to qualify this, it has to be understood that mixed into this love of my job is a grinding, a forging, straining as it were.

In my opinion, simply stating, “I love my job…I am unhappy with my job…I love my kids…I love ice cream…I hate broccoli” etc. isn’t clear. How does the speaker define the words ‘love’, ‘unhappy’ and ‘hate’? One may love one’s job – but intermixed with all that a person’s job entails has to be a certain amount of strain. To elaborate: Jesus said that but for the joy set before him, he endured the shame of the cross. It wasn’t easy sailing, by any stretch. In the same way, when believers declare they love something – it’s important that they qualify the word ‘love’. For example: I love my dog, but when my wife and I have to spend hours de-matting his 10 inch long hair, or clean the yard of his excrement, or suffer the pain of his puppy nails raking down our bare legs in his exuberant excitement of seeing us…the word ‘love’ takes on a bit of a different meaning.

I am seeing that by either omission or intent, without elucidating with as much clarity as possible, (which encompasses both positive and negative, chaffing, grinding factors) regarding, ‘I love my job, marriage, kids, co-workers, the street I live on etc,’ will leave those struggling with the notion that if they are beset with anything less than warm, fuzzy, happy feelings, there must be something radically wrong with them.

It was through Jesus that a door was opened up for all of humanity to clearly see how the Son of God/Son of Man was going to attain perfection…and that it was not going to be achieved by his Father removing the grinding, chaffing, forging circumstances and situations needed to accomplish this perfection.

Rich

5 comments:

Kent said...

Rich, I wonder if it is in the difficulty of communicating...expressing ourselves and interpreting what others are saying, that the apostle Paul says that he no longer judges any man by the flesh...he also says that he no longer even judges himself that way.

I think it is wonderfully wise advice from Paul for us all to learn to live by. That we able to look beyond, into something deeper, when to comes to listening to others?

I love what Paul Young says about people bringing all they've got at every moment. I'm learning that all my relationships are growing much healthier since I moved away from attempting to "devine" what someone's motives are and to "fix" what I "devined" needs fixed in them.

Rich said...

Kent,

Thanks for commenting, although I don't have a clue as to what you're trying to say/getting at. :)

Kent said...

Ah...maybe there in lies the problem? Your last few posts here on this blog and the last one on your other blog just seem to be very agitated at how others express themselves? Maybe I am misreading your posts which very well could be possible.

I appologize if I have.

Rich said...

Kent,

No need to apologize, this is but an example of what I am so poorly trying to articulate.

A friendship, a good friendship is not good/healthy because there are NEVER any misunderstandings, just the opposite imo.
It is in this wonderful tension of incongruous grating, chaffing, grinding in trying to share, open one's heart towards another that true friendships are FORGED!

Those that are trying to say/give the impression that having a good marriage, friendship etc is good without these glorious but painful tensions/grindings is usually full of crap.
Life is always something birthed out of a great catharsis.

Rich said...

Kent,

Here are some additional and wonderful thoughts about communication.

http://www.37signals.com/svn/posts/986-osmo-wiio-communication-usually-fails-except-by-accident

If it is a friendship that comes about as a result of reaching out, being vulnerable, rather than simply a drive by shooting of words, then maybe a friendship can be forged in the course of the heated twists and turns it takes.