Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Religion of Politics


Over at Kent’s blog Faithfully Dangerous he has shared some thoughts entitled “The Political Distraction.”
I have commented on his piece and I thought I might put it up here for others to read that might not visit his most excellent site.

After reading and commenting on these thoughts, it was a jerk me up straight moment realizing the extent of the title he chose to use,
Political Distraction, wow, I thought.
Why is it that whether in the USA or any other country so many seem to think, especially the Christian demographic that our residing political government figures should be angelic like, people full of integrity etc, are we mistaking this world for the Heaven of which God has for us? Did Jesus actually come with a prioritised agenda specifically to see that any democratic establishments would truly be a government of the people, by the people and for the people? As I offered in my thoughts, I thought it was all about a door being opened up for who so ever chooses to have a full blown encounter with this one whose offer was Life, Love now and forever. And it somehow is having nothing to do with making this world a nicer, safer place to live.

These were my thoughts I shared on Kent's blog.

The political tyranny that you speak of is interesting as I see it being but a metaphor for a far more all invasive inner tyranny. Look at the children of Israel being extricated from their Egyptian bondage, talk about a corrupt demoralizing system. In my opinion this perverted and corrupt system was but an outer shadow of a sinister monster hidden within the lives of those who saw themselves as being exempt from this reality. It wasn’t long after exiting what they saw as their taskmasters that the real one came rushing to the forefront of their supposed freedom, they were slaves of the inner tyranny of sin.

Fast forward this same picture to the totality of the corrupt system assimilating anything that stood in the way of Rome’s total dominance. The Jews in Jesus’ day were convinced his appearing in their real estate (neck of the woods) was to kick Roman ass, once again they had a deliverer who would set things right, and I’m sure in the faint historical memories of their mind this was of a similar undertaking through one of their great patriarchs, Moses!
Bottom line, Jesus as you know was coming to us for the purpose of Life, something ALL dead humanity stood in need of. The Jews of that hour differed in no way to their ancestors held captive to Pharaoh back in Egypt, they were under the tyranny and complete slaves to SIN, Jesus was aiming far higher than trying to establish a decent and just government for the people!!

Rich

2 comments:

Daveda said...

I like this. It makes me think...and I have to say, I think I agree.

"Why is it that whether in the USA or any other country so many seem to think, especially the Christian demographic that our residing political government figures should be angelic like, people full of integrity etc, are we mistaking this world for the Heaven of which God has for us?" Hmmm....

No kidding! I agree again. Jesus never promised a perfect world or a perfect system, the only perfect thing promised, is Jesus and His promises and favor in our lives though the outpouring of His love and the power of the Holy Spirit.

Rich said...

Daveda,

Thanks for commenting, much appreciated.

I must say that the mind set amongst some folks who see the beginning and end of corruption within the USA politicians and government is a real mind bender to me here in lowly Canada~ha!

The depravity of having been born in sin and shaped in iniquity has permeated us all, there is none good, seems to me Jesus calls us (humanity) up short on any resident 'goodness.'

Somehow in our being encouraged to pray for all men, this encompasses ALL who are in authority so that we may lead a tranquil and quiet life in all godliness and dignity.

Learning we are living in a fallen world and yet not of it will free us from trying to get the 'right' man into political office so that we can see the kingdom come is sheer madness.