Sunday, December 23, 2007

Is Grace Really All That Amazing






What is the grace of God anyway, yeah, yeah, I know all the right answers, but what is it really in my meanderings here?
Meaning, as my wife and I were talking yesterday we so long for the Lord to do what he does best in bringing realness (restoration-reconciliation) to broken relationships, and we don't have to look any further than our immediate family.

Until the reality of His love for me began to click, I agreed with my wife, it was as if I was going through all of the right motions of trying to be a good dad, but totally missing the key component, His love.
His love is creating within me what was never there before in my life. If you were to ask me as a young man what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would have quickly told you, I want to BE a Dad.
I do not simply boil it all down to having gotten older and maybe mellower, but in fact have just begun to experience His intoxicating and liberating love for ME!

Margi, my wife and I are beginning to see ever so much more clearly the lies that keep trying to keep us as prisoners to that which is 'real vs that which is True'.
Here's the deal in a nut shell, if His finished work on the cross aka his grace, was in fact just for those who like me that see my need of total lack (emptiness), and that grace was not just an add on to an already exemplary life style, then why do we still struggle so much with it all?
Ergo, the illusion between what appears to be real, and what is the Truth.

There's a passage of scripture that continues to speak to me within this conundrum; He sent those who came to Him full, away, empty, but those who came to Him empty, He sent away Full.
Do you think that just maybe that might be pointing to the Truth rather than what appears to be real, meaning, didn't he say that we were to be envied (blessed are you) when you discover your poorness of spirit, when you hunger for Him, when you grieve, when you discover how blind and naked you are?

Could it be that Grace is bringing into being a reality of life that never existed before no matter how much I have seen myself as a looser compared to so many others that seemed to be doing just fine in every area of life without God?
Maybe His grace is NOT a Velcro merit badge for being the best of the best, but maybe much more to the point in how such descriptive language was used in the Old Testament scriptures where it talks of us being like a product of being born but discarded and abandon and thrown into a ditch on the road side, but, discovered by God, who took us to Himself as a cherished treasure. He washed away our filth, the caked on blood from our birth, covered our nakedness, and established us in the security of His never ending love.

Is it possible that grace is viewed by some in this manner, at best this lost and separated-alienated race of human beings was simply missing a couple of parts of being able to get back on the right track?
Or was this race so poisoned so totally corrupted, God had to do away with it and not try and fix-repair it?

Why is it so plainly illustrated that He purposed this for us except we are blinded by that appears to be real, rather than what the Truth is:
Take a good look, friends, at who you were when you got called into this life. I don't see many of "the brightest and the best" among you, not many influential, not many from high-society families. Isn't it obvious that God deliberately chose men and women that the culture overlooks and exploits and abuses, chose these "nobodies" to expose the hollow pretensions of the "somebodies"? That makes it quite clear that none of you can get by with blowing your own horn before God. Everything that we have—right thinking and right living, a clean slate and a fresh start—comes from God by way of Jesus Christ. That's why we have the saying, "If you're going to blow a horn, blow a trumpet for God."

Rich

No comments: