Monday, October 06, 2008

God’s Power


These words gripped me this morning as I am finishing up reading The Naked Church by Wayne Jacobsen.

He has been talking about “clothed with power,” and this stood out so real to me.

Not only does God’s power flow through our relationship with him, but it is also the conduit that lets us share that power with others. Often when Jesus healed people he was motivated with compassion. What moves us when we pray for others? I know I’m often bombarded with an awareness of how bad I’m going to look if nothing happens. God’s power doesn’t move freely in that environment.”

“At other times I’ve prayed for a miracle specifically to avoid more costly personal involvement. My prayer was not an extension of my compassion but a substitute for it, like asking, God to heal the beaten man on the road in the parable of the Good Samaritan because this would be easier than bandaging the wounds and paying for his stay at an inn. The early church regarded selling their property to help one another in financial need as a miracle just as real as multiplying the loaves and fishes. Until we’re moved enough to spend our resources, chances are we’re not ready to rely on God’s
.”

I look upon this not as a condemning thought but in fact I see it pointing me to the One who makes this totally possible.
No longer having to try and suck up the where with all to be caring, loving etc.!
What liberty and freedom knowing, silver and gold I might not have, but I can honour and care for others in my path this day only because my Father knows no shortages.

Rich

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rich,
"Not only does God’s power flow through our relationship with him, but it is also the conduit that lets us share that power with others. Often when Jesus healed people he was motivated with compassion....Until we’re moved enough to spend our resources, chances are we’re not ready to rely on God’s....What liberty and freedom knowing, silver and gold I might not have, but I can honour and care for others in my path this day only because my Father knows no shortages."

Amen, amen! Because of Papa's Grace and infilling of Himself we can have compassion on those with whom He places in our lives. It's my deepest prayer to exude an on-going life of love and compassion always to everyone Papa places in my life.

Great post!

Blessings,
~Amy :)
http://amyiswalkinginthespirit.blogspot.com